How To Hang Custom Digital Wallpaper
HOW TO HANG CUSTOM DIGITAL WALLPAPER
Prior to placing your order, we recommend that paper quantities for your project be carefully calculated as there are No returns allowed for custom digitally printed items.
• Our papers are delivered untrimmed and require pasting.
• Upon receiving your digital wallcovering and prior to installation, please examine all goods to make certain the size, image and quality are satisfactory and as ordered.
• Check to see that you have received what was ordered and that all mural panels are included in the shipment. If the material is to be stored, make sure the pieces are stored flat in a temperature controlled, dry area, and not crushed.
Proper surface preparation is essential for quality installations. Surfaces must be clean, smooth, dry and structurally intact before installing any wallcovering.
Glossy and non-porous surfaces should be primed prior to installation of wallcovering.
Where there is a color contrast between the wall surface and the wallcovering, it is always best to tint the primer to match the color of the wallcovering.
All primers should dry completely before wallcovering is installed.
• On drywall (painted with latex or oil) use an acrylic primer or prep coat
• On drywall (painted with builders flat) use a primer/sealer
• On new plaster (after the proper curing time) or unpainted plaster, use size mixed with the adhesive you plan to install the final wallcovering with to prepare the surface
• On any wall with stains or mold issues use a stain killer primer (mold must be treated with a bleach solution first)
• On a new or repaired drywall use a primer/sealer
• On a wall surface with residual wallpaper paste use a primer/sealer
For a superior installation, once primed and smoothed, a liner paper should be used to provide a receptive surface for the pasted sheet of wallpaper.
HANGING THE WALLCOVERING:
1. Our wallpapers should be trimmed dry (un-pasted) on a large flat surface.
Tools needed are a large straight edge (5 or 6 foot) and fresh razor blades. Blades should be changed frequently to ensure a clean edge on all goods.
2. On both sides of the paper, use a fresh blade to trim flush with the edge of the pattern or guidelines.
Our pattern match is designed for a “butted” seam installation. Careful precision is needed for clean seams.
If you have arranged for an overlap, a double-cutting technique may be used during your final installation, however you will need to confirm prior to any trimming.
3. We recommend using a ready-mixed clear, non-staining adhesive. Heavy duty paste may be required depending on the final substrate chosen for your print. If in doubt, a heavy duty paste will not harm the paper during installation. Do not oversaturate the backing of the paper. Machine pasting is ok to use for all goods unless a specialty paper has been selected.
Please consult with an associate if you are unable to determine what paste to use or if machine pasting is compatible.
Please take time to pre-test the compatibility of the adhesive you choose with our paper.
Hang 2-3 stripes and allow the paper to dry completely to ensure that the adhesive and paper is performing satisfactorily. Clear adhesive can cause staining on some papers (including, but not limited to ShurStick models) and should be examined thoroughly on both the front and back of the paper to ensure they are non-staining. Please be sure to follow the adhesive manufacturer’s directions carefully.
4. Apply adhesive to the back of the wallcovering panel using either a short-nap paint roller or pasting machine. Work the adhesive in to cover the back completely, especially near the edges. Allow panels to book as necessary (see page 3 for booking times).
If booking is required: After pasting, fold the paper back (pasted sides together) and allow to set for the recommended time before hanging. This will allow the paper to relax and absorb the moisture while expanding or contracting. If booked too quickly, the paper will shrink on your wall causing gaps between each pan el.
Booking times vary: Booking times can range from 0-5 minutes depending on the final substrate chosen. If in doubt, please contact a sales representative to confirm the corresponding booking time.
Mondoc (54” standard paper): 3 minutes
27” wide mylars: 3-5 minutes
54” wide vinyl’s (type II): 3 minutes
Artist Canvas: 3-5 minutes
Eco Canvas: 1 minute
Non-woven backings: 3 minutes
Woven backings: 3 minutes
Specialty materials should be confirmed on a per order basis if you do not see your substrate above.
5. Paper will not require a lot of pressure during installation. Hang the first panel to a plumb line and allow it to overlap onto the ceiling and baseboard.
Use either a soft bristle smoothing brush or plastic smoother, work paper from the center out, to expel any air bubbles. Use the smoothing tools gently in order not to damage the image surface. Use light pressure. Do not press hard enough to remove the adhesive from underneath the wallcovering as the will result in air pockets.
6. Trim with a razor knife at the ceiling and baseboard, around windows, etc.
7. Line up the second strip to the edge of the first strip making sure the image/repeat is aligned, and smooth out firmly. Care should be exercised so that the wallboard underneath is not scored.
Seams should be vertical, have a tight fit, and be free from air and paste bubbles.
Double cutting should be confirmed prior to trimming into any panels.
8. Sponge each strip with clean water to remove any excess adhesive. Use a soft bristle brush to clean if necessary. Change the wash water frequently and blot surfaces dry with a clean towel.
During and after hanging, be certain all adhesive residue is completely wiped from the surface. It is important to use a damp sponge or soft damp towel and clean warm water. Dry with a clean towel. An
extra-absorbent microfiber towel is recommended.
Avoid excessive use of water which can re-activate the paste causing seams to split.
Avoid rubbing too hard, which can burnish the surface.
If you or your paper hanger has any further questions please email [email protected].
To find a professional installer in your area, we recommend contacting the National Guild of Professional Paperhangers at www.thepaperhangers.com or www.ngpp.org
Thank you for choosing Design Your Wall!